Church History

 

The history of Gregory Community Church dates back to 1837. Thirteen charter members met to organize a Baptist church two miles southwest of Gregory in a Coopers Shop. Meetings were held there until a log schoolhouse was built where they continued to meet until the church building was built in 1852.

In 1883, during a decade of rapid rail expansion, a railroad was built and the town of Gregory was founded. Gregory experienced an increase of business, trade, and population growth.  It quickly became evident that the new town needed a church. On December 11, 1886, a meeting was held in the original Holmes Road church and those present voted that plans be made to move the church or build a new one in Gregory.
 

On December 18, 1887 the first Baptist Church of Gregory was dedicated. The congregation has worshipped in and served the community of Gregory ever since. In 1987 the church celebrated its sesquicentennial, and the late Thomas Denton Howlett authored the book, The Gregory Baptists Church: Its First 150 years.

 

 

In 2002 the congregation changed its name to Gregory Community Church. While remaining a Baptist congregation, the new name recaptures the pioneering spirit that led a faithful band of Christians to move where the people were! Today Gregory Community church02-2Church continues to strive to be a source of care and compassion to residents of Gregory and the surrounding area.

Gregory Community Church continues to preach and teach the good news while actively shaping its  ministry to reach an ever-changing world. Our church emphasizes experiencing God thorough worship, and enjoys praising God with the employment of traditional hymns, praise choruses and the latest in contemporary Christian music.

Gregory Community Church is affiliated with American Baptist Churches of Michigan and American Baptist Churches, USA.

tmpE64
 
Ed & Reba Marshall 1944
tmp4924
 
Ed & Reba Marshall 2012